Many British Columbians are facing a loss of income, daunting bills, and uncertainty about their return to work as the COVID-19 crisis continues to control life as we know it.
Here are some emergency resources and funding available to help people feeling the financial effects of Covid-19.
- The Canada Emergency Response Benefit, a taxable benefit of $2,000 a month for up to four months to eligible workers who have lost their income due to COVID-19: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html
- The B.C. Climate Action Tax Credit, an additional one-time payment to be made in July 2020 on top of the regular climate action tax credit amount for qualifying individuals (up to $218) and families (up to $564): https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/taxes/income-taxes/personal/credits/climate-action/enhanced-july-2020-payment
- The B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers, a tax-free, one time $1,000 payment for B.C. residents whose ability to work has been affected due to COVID-19: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/covid-19-financial-supports/emergency-benefit-workers
- B.C. Temporary Rental Supplement (BC-TRS) Program, up to $500/month towards your rent, paid directly to your landlord: https://www.bchousing.org/BCTRS
- B.C. Hydro COVID-19 Relief Fund, up to 3 months credit to get money off your hydroelectric bills: https://app.bchydro.com/accounts-billing/bill-payment/ways-to-pay/covid-19-relief-fund.html
- Enhanced Goods and Services Tax Credit (GSTC) - You will get the extra payment amount automatically if you normally receive the GST/HST credit and have filed a 2018 tax return. Payments were issued on April 9, 2020, and you have until June 1st to file your return: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/covid-19-gsthstc-increase.html
- B.C. Financial Support Programs (ICBC deferral, student loan deferral & other programs aimed at supporting individuals affected by Covid-19):
Remember - if you have been laid off and are called back to work - you must return or face losing your entitlement to many of these benefits.